Bridal Couture Assistant, LeannMarieDesign - Sheffield
This vacancy has now closed.
RISE Sheffield City Region is a major city region-wide initiative to increase graduate employment in small and medium sized enterprises. The city region covers: Barnsley, Bassetlaw, Bolsover, Chesterfield, Derbyshire Dales, Doncaster, North East Derbyshire, Rotherham and Sheffield. RISE SCR is a collaboration between city region partners, Sheffield Hallam University, The University of Sheffield and the private sector.
How would we sum it up?
Are you a Costume/Fashion/Textiles graduate, or someone with excellent sewing abilities, who wants to assist in the creation of beautiful bridal designs? You will use your sewing skills, attention to detail and precision to make alterations to stunning one-of-a-kind pieces. With a client waiting list of 10-12 months, you’ll be supporting a successful business with an impressive reputation and clients across the UK, helping them to grow and cope with increasing demand.
What’s the business all about?
The business is LeannMarieDesign, a small, independent bridal couture and alterations business based in the heart of Sheffield’s creative Kelham Island district. Clients travel from as far afield as Bedfordshire and Suffolk but are mainly from the Yorkshire, Derbyshire and the Nottinghamshire areas. Working directly alongside an MD with tonnes of experience in bridal and theatre/costume design, you will have the opportunity to learn from a real expert. To find out more, visit their website at www.leannmariedesign.co.uk/ or visit their social media pages.
What are all the practical details?
Starting salary: £18,720pa pro rata for a full-time position, but you will work part-time with a minimum of 14 hours/week (£10/hour)
Location: LeannMarieDesign Studio, Kelham Island, Sheffield, S3 8BX
Start date: February 2019
Length of role: Until September 2019, with potential for renewal/extension
Type of role: Part time, with a minimum of 14 hours/week
What else do you get as a RISE graduate?
If you are lucky enough to secure one of the RISE roles you won’t just be getting a job. You will be getting access to some of the best training and professional networking with senior leaders in the region, giving you a fantastic opportunity to develop quickly and accelerate your career, including:
• Feedback from your interview and assessment centre (if completed)
• A launch event and an ongoing training programme with other graduates across the region
• Six months free membership of the JCI (Junior Chamber International)
• Access to self-development materials
Sound good to you? Then it’s time to RISE
If you love the sound of this role, then this is your opportunity to RISE to the challenge. Just fill in an application form (link below), entering your Cover Letter and CV details. In your cover letter make sure you explain why you are applying for the role, your relevant skills and experience and what interests you about the business.
What would you be doing?
You will have a broad role that ranges from Bride meet and greet to gown prepping, but mainly consists of carrying out alterations to gowns. The list below is not exhaustive, but typical activities might include:
• Fastening removals and insertions; e.g. concealed zips, rouleau loops, corset tapes, hook and eye/bars, buttons, poppers, press studs and swing catches
• Surface embellishment removal and application; Mounting lace motifs and trims by hand, mounting crochet motifs / fabric by hand, beading, hot fix / flat back gems, creation of 3D applique florals, application of 3D applique florals, unpicking and stripping of surface embellishments
• Dart, seam and hem adjustments; including fine double turned hemming, taped/horsehair hems, overlock turned hems, raw cut tulle/net hems, hand hems: herringbone / slip stitch, overlock turned hems, trouser turn-ups, french seams, plain seams, bust cup insertions, understitching. You will be expected to bring examples of previous work in this area to interview.
• Toile prepping and assembly
• Fittings: Bride meet and greet, serving refreshments, dress bagging / labelling, mannequin dressing / undressing, fitting assistance, note taking
• Gown and veil prepping, including steaming, pressing and lint rolling
What type of person are they looking for?
The ideal candidate will:
● Be a graduate of any degree but you must have confident, clean and accurate sewing machine skills (see below) – a degree in Costume, Fashion and Textiles, or related disciplines is very desirable
● Have some qualifications in fashion/textiles, this could include A Level, GNVQ Advanced, BTEC L3, foundation course, Diploma or degree
● The ability to use, set, troubleshoot and thread: a domestic sewing machine, industrial sewing machine, domestic overlock machine
● A range of accurate and pacey hand sewing skills, including creative surface embellishment skills
● Knowledge of the behaviour, characteristics and challenges of varied lightweight bridal fabrics e.g.: tulle, net, satin, silk, chiffon, organza
● The ability to work from both written and verbal instruction
● The ability to work accurately with metric measurements and basic math (grade C or above in GCSE Maths)
● The ability to work under pressure, to tight deadlines
● A strong attention to detail
● A calm and professional demeanour
● Punctuality and reliability
● Strong verbal and written communication skills (grade C or above in GCSE English)
● An interest in the wedding and bridal industry
● Some relevant work experience, which could be in alterations, costume design, tailoring, laundry services, clothing construction
The following skills would be desirable, but don’t be put off if not!
• Familiarity with commercial and/or bespoke patterns, Layplanning and cutting experience
• A working knowledge of corsetry and/or familiarity with steel or rigilene boning, or with under-structures e.g: petticoats, netted skirting and hooped skirting
• Knowledge of vintage and period fashion, silhouettes and characteristics
• Knowledge of care, launder and pressing services
|Location:||Sheffield, South Yorkshire|
|Salary:||£18,720 p/a pro rata|
|Advertised until:||Closed Mon 10-Dec-2018|
|Eligibility:||Candidates must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK|
Strictly no agencies
This vacancy has now closed.