Junior proofreader - Batley
This vacancy has now closed.
Design Portfolio was founded more than 25 years ago and is a leading UK corporate communications partner supporting businesses ranging from the FTSE 350 through to AIM, as well as private companies and those new to market. We work in print, digital and moving image and specialise in six core areas across numerous sectors:
• Annual reports
• Investor presentations
• Corporate websites
• Video and animation
• Corporate branding
• Sustainability communications
Design Portfolio is seeking a junior proofreader to join its growing team. The proofreading team is responsible for ensuring quality control across all Design Portfolio and client collateral. Initially working closely with our proofreading manager and our individual account managers, you will be proofreading corporate reports (annual, interim and sustainability) and corporate/IR websites for our clients, marking up design and typographic amendments and proofreading queries to be passed back to clients. The role also includes assisting the client services team, supporting a number of account managers with production tasks.
Working hours are Monday to Friday 8.50am–5.30pm. You may be expected to work outside these hours if necessary. The contract is for an initial fixed term of six months. If your contract is extended to a permanent role, this acts as a probationary period. For all permanent roles, personal development reviews are undertaken twice a year with salary reviews in January.
Day-to-day proofreading tasks primarily involve reading and checking documents containing financial reports and tables of figures. You will mark up amendments and queries (predominantly on hard copy) relating to four areas: spelling, grammar, style and consistency.
Documents read include: annual reports (ranging in length from 40 to 150 pages); interim reports (from 12 to 24 pages in length); strategic reviews; in-house and client presentations; corporate brochures; and websites/online reports.
Other tasks include checking client and internal amendments have been correctly implemented; checking copy has been correctly inserted into design files; checking printer's proofs are an accurate match of the document sent for print; acting as a proofreading point of reference for other staff within the company; and carrying out other administrative tasks as required.
For this role, we are looking for a candidate who:
• has a university degree, preferably English or media related, although candidates with other suitable/equivalent experience or degrees, such as marketing or business, will be considered;
• has excellent written and verbal communication skills;
• has attention to detail;
• has an ability to work accurately to tight deadlines;
• can work as part of a team;
• can manage workloads and work on own initiative;
• has a good working knowledge of Microsoft Word. Other software knowledge would be useful (Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint and InDesign especially), although full training will be given;
• has a can-do attitude, is organised and is able to manage multiple tasks; and
• is able to communicate with other members of the DP team, and in some cases senior external clients.
|Skills & experience||
Candidates must be able to show evidence of being proactive in a previous work or academic environment.
|Degree:||English degree preferred, although candidates with other suitable/equivalent experience or degree, such as marketing or business, will be considered.|
|Location:||Batley, West Yorkshire|
|Salary:||Dependent upon experience and the candidate (although we expect this to be in the region of £16,000)|
|Advertised until:||Closed Sun 13-Jan-2019|
|Eligibility:||Candidates must, by the start of their employment, have permission to work in the UK|
Strictly no agencies
This vacancy has now closed.