Life in Yorkshire
North Yorkshire is a mix of the old and the new with historic buildings and cobbled streets housing trendy bars and stylish shopping quarters. Home to the Viking city of York and historic Harrogate, the north of the county also contains sleepy seaside towns and villages including the popular weekend resorts of Scarborough, Whitby and Filey.
North Yorkshire is the perfect place for those that like a little greenery or activity in their life. Set among dales and vales and encompassing the expansive North Yorkshire Moors, you’ll find great places for walking, cycling, and rock climbing.
York is the largest city in North Yorkshire. This lively and picturesque city attracts many students to its two Universities and is known for its beautiful historic buildings, its relaxed way of life and its thriving social scene. With a host of live music venues, pubs, classy wine bars and trendy restaurants within the city walls and along the riverside, whether it’s a date with your hot new work colleague, after-hours fun with the team or a sneaky pint during lunch hour, you’ll be spoilt for choice. The city is popular with graduates so competition for jobs in the area is high. Luckily York also boasts a great transport network with excellent commuter routes to nearby Leeds as well as the rest of the county. York is the UK’s first Science City, driving the city forward as a centre of enterprise in science, technology and the creative industries.
Harrogate is the next biggest town in the region offering employment opportunities. The wealthy spa town boasts fantastic architecture and historic interest, making it a beautiful, but pricey, place to live. A little off the beaten track, the nightlife here is more low-key, but with York, Leeds and Bradford close by you don’t need to go far for a big night out. Never a place to be outshone, Harrogate has its fair share of trendy pubs, bars and intimate clubs (plus its own locally produced peach wine) so you may never feel the need to head further afield!
- University of York - www.york.ac.uk
- York St John University - www.yorksj.ac.uk
- York City Council - www.york.gov.uk
- York Visitor Info - www.york-tourism.co.uk
- Science City York - www.sciencecityyork.org.uk
- Harrogate BC & Visitor Info - www.harrogate.gov.uk
- North Yorkshire County Council - www.northyorks.gov.uk
- Ryedale District Council - www.ryedale.gov.uk
- Richmondshire District Council - http://www.richmondshire.gov.uk/
- North Yorkshire Coast Visitor Info - www.discoveryorkshirecoast.com
- Yorkshire Dales Visitor Info - www.yorkshiredales.org
- Local Enterprise Partnerships North Yorkshire and East Riding - www.businessinspiredgrowth.com
- Welcome to Yorkshire - www.yorkshire.com
- YorkshireNet - www.yorkshirenet.co.uk